Archiwum Państwowe w Zamościu
- The State Archive in Zamość
The archive in Zamość came into existence according to the Decree of the Minister of Education from July 21 1950 as a county branch of Lublin State Archive. In 1951, the archive was renamed the County State Archive in Zamość, as a branch of Lublin Voivodship State Archive. In 1976, according to the reform of state administration, the archive became the Zamość Voivodship State Archive, and in 1983, according to the Act of National Archival Records and Archives, it was renamed the Zamość State Archive.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Nowadays. The State Archive in Zamość works on the ground of the Act on National Archival Records and Archives of July 14, 1983, Journal of Law, (Dziennik Ustaw) No 38, 1983.07.19 with later changes.
After the establishment of the Zamość archive it was located in a private house in Grodzka street. In 1967 it was relocated to the bigger building in Moranda street. From 2000 the archive is situated in restored office building in Hrubieszowska street.
Archival and Other Holdings
The archive in Zamość possesses 1258 collections and archival founds, which makes 232554 units and 2049 running meters (as for December 31, 2010). The oldest document originates from 1457. There are the following kinds of holdings:
- records of towns and villages (19th and 20th century),
- self-government and local administration documents (after 1944),
- documents of charity organizations RGO, Inspectorates of Social Welfare),
- records of catholic, greekcatholic and orthodox parishes,
- birth, marriage and death records (catholic, greekcatholic, orthodox and jewish),
- judicial documents (courts, prosecutor's offices, prisons),
- notarial files (19th and 20th century),
- documents of schools,
- documents of banks and financial institutions,
- documents of agriculture cooperatives and food industry (sugar factories),
- documents of land estates,
- documents of political parties and organizations (PZPR, "Służba Polsce").
The State Archive's holdings are available in the workroom open Monday-Friday 8.00 - 15.00.
Conditions of Access
The access is regulated by Instruction No. 4 of the Head Office of State Archives in Poland, dated February 1, 2013.