Галузевий державний архів Служби безпеки України
- Sectoral State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine
- Haluzevyi derzhavnyi arkhiv Sluzhby Bezpeky Ukrainy
Sectoral State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine was established by the decision of Ukraine Prime Minister Cabinet on first of April 1994.
Geographical and Cultural Context
Archive holds documents of Ukrainian Republic Security Service (and former Ukrainian Soviet Republic), from the period 1918-until today. Archive holds documents from Security Service Kiev headquarters and provincial branches.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Archive operates on the basis of the decision of Ukraine Prime Minister Cabinet on first of April 1994, No 206.
On the basis of the decree ofthe President of Ukraine from 6 of June 2011, No 649, Sectoral State Archive of the Security Service of Ukraine is a branch of Security Service of the Ukrainian Republic.
Archival and Other Holdings
Archive holds 87 Research Groups encompassing around 225.000 of the archival folders.
One of the oldest documents in the archive are from 1918, and are referring to the establishment of Soviet Security in Ukraine- Cheka.
Archive holds also collections of the documents from pre-1917 period, letters, photographs and others.
Most important collections of the archives are documents of:
- Ukrainian Soviet Republic Security Services
- criminal records from the soviet and post-sovier period
- documentation of the victims of the Soviet totalitarism, among them folders referring to many important personalities of Ukrainian political, cultural and social life
- documents of the political parties active in Ukraine in period of Revolution, Civil War and Ukrainian Peoples Republic
- documents referring to the economical and social life in the Ukrainian Soviet Republic
- Documents referring to the Second World War, among them: of soviet espionage and counterespionage services, partisan groups, on German occupation and administation on Ukraine,
- personal files of the Soviet Security Service emloyees
Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication
Full list of the document fonds of the archive is available online at:
Reading Room of the Archive is opened from Monday till Friday, between 9.30 am and 5.15 pm, besides last day of the each month.
Archive had reading room opened for reaserchers.