Държавен архив – Бургас
- Durzhaven arhiv - Burgas
- State Archive in Burgas
State Archive in Burgas was created in 1952. After many reorganizations it became since 2010 the branch of the Regional State Archives in Burgas.
The Burgas State Archive is a division within the Regional State Archives of Burgas Directorate. It manages the selection, acquisition, registration, processing, preservation and provision for use of the documents identified for permanent storage, which stem from the district administration, the municipalities of the Burgas region, of the territorial structures of the state bodies and other state and municipal institutions, organisations and important figures of local significance; as well as the scientific and methodological guidance and control of the organisation, preservation and use of documents in the archival services.
The Archive was created as a division of the County directorate of the Ministry of Interior, Burgas in 1952 in accordance with the Decree 515 of the Presidium of the National Assembly and the Council of Minister’s Decree № 344 dated 18th April 1952. After 1961 it was subordinate to the People’s County Council of Burgas and after 1988 it was incorporated within the structure of the Municipality of Burgas. In 1992 it passed under the direct governance of the General Department of Archives at the Council of Ministers. In 1978 it received the status of a directorate but in 2010 it was reformed into a division.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Through the years the Archive was headed by: Georgi Hadzhiatanasov (1952–1957), Nikola Penkov (1958–1961), Georgi Georgiev (1961–1972), Maria Arnaudova (1973–1987), Elena Doycheva (1987–2004).
A reading room, a library and a restoration lab are operative at the Archive. There are 3856 volumes of vocational literature on history, archivology and other fields of science; dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, finding aids, guides, catalogs, documentary editions and periodicals.
Since 2001 the Archive has been placed in the building of the State Agency for Metrological and Technical Surveillance.
Archival and Other Holdings
As for 1 I 2018 the archive contained 4260 archival collections (298 094 archival units)
After the administrative and territorial changes in 1959, 52 fonds were transferred to the newly created Archives in Sliven (30) and Yambol (22). In 1993 the fonds and collections of the former County Committee of BCP entered the Archive, containing 1645 fonds with 40 296 archival units, 1500 memoirs and 822 partial accessions, 1734 photos and 6 albums with 225 photos.
As of the 1st January 2012 the number of fonds of the Archive amounts to 3210.18 linear metres with 4199 archival fonds (3943 public and 253 private) with 292 855 archival units; 1505 partial accessions and 2034 memoirs. The Security fonds consists of 1081 rolls with 986 124 frames.
BULGARIAN ARCHIVES STATE AGENCY INFORMATION SYSTEM