Державний архів Вінницької області
- State Archive of Vinnytsia Oblast
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Vinnyts'koi oblasti
38 (0432) 53-06-17 (reference department)
In 1920 the Archival Section for Protection of Antiques, Nature and Arts Heritage was established in Vinnytsia as part of the Podillia Provincial Public Education Office. The same year the Podillia Regional Archives consisting of archival, library and bibliographic departments was established under it.
In September, 1920 the Podillia Provincial Archival Department was established under the Provincial Public Education Office, and the Podillia Regional Archives was disbanded. In February, 1921 the Provincial Committee for the Protection of Antiquities, Nature and Art Heritage (Hubkopys) was organized under the Provincial Public Education Office; an archival section became a part of it. The Podillia Provincial Archival Department was dissolved. In the spring, 1922 the Podillia Provincial Historical Archives for pre-revolutionary archival documents keeping was established in Vinnytsia. It contained materials of the Podillia and Kamyanets-Podilsky Archival Departments. This was the beginning of the State Archives of Vinnytsia Oblast.
On July 24, 1925, due to the liquidation of the guberniya of Podillia the Provincial Archival Department ceased to exist, and its functions were transferred to the Provisional Archival Commission, which in turn transferred its documents to three district archival departments established at Vinnytsia, Mohyliv-Podilsky and Tulchyn. The Historical Archives was fully integrated into the Vinnytsia District Archival Department.
In 1930, the Vinnytsia District Archival Department was reorganized into the Vinnytsia Local Archival Department and at the end of 1931 the Vinnytsia Local Archival Department was reorganized into the Vinnytsia State Historical Archives.
As soon as Vinnytsia oblast was founded in February, 1932, the Archives was renamed to the Vinnytsia Oblast Historical Archives responsible to the newly-established Vinnytsia Oblast Archival Department.
With the Nazi invasion, the Oblast Archival Department evacuated its secret collections. The rest of the archival collections were left on the occupied territory. The work of the Oblast Historical Archives resumed under German occupation on November 1, 1941.
In 1944, the Archives resumed its activity and was renamed to the State Archives of Vinnytsia Oblast.
In December, 1988 the Archival Department of Oblast Executive Committee was disbanded, and the Oblast Archives became responsible for the administration of archives in the region. In 1991, in accordance with to a Decree of the Presidium of the Council of Ministers dated August, 27, the former party archives of the oblast were added to the State Archives of Vinnytsia Oblast.
Archive contains documents from the Eastern Podillia region from XVIII century until the present day.
Archive operates on the basis of the laws of the Ukrainian Republic as well as its statute: "Regulations of the State Archive of Vinnitsa Oblast"
Statute is available online at:
Archive is divided into 6 departments:
Organization and Coordination of the archival activity
Storage, Recording and Reference apparatus
National Archival Fund formation and archival activity
Information and Usage of the Documents
Finance and Material Security
Preservation and Microfilming Labaratory
Archive has two buildings, at 17 Soborna street and at 12 Pyrohova street
In the repositories of the Archives there are stocks of establishments, which have operated in the territory of Bratslavshchyna (Eastern Podillia) since the eighties of the XVIII century.
Documents representing the era of Rzeczpospolita are contained in the collections of the Commission on collection of the taxes for troop maintenance in Bratslav district, in the funds of the Bratslav Magistrate and Director of Schools in Podillia Voivodship. A great deal of documents from that period appear in original form or as certified copies in the collections of the pidkomorsky (boundary) courts, boundary courts of appeal and land courts. The collection of the Lityn Boundary Court of Appeal contain scripts from as far back as 1612 relating to the establishment of boundaries for the villages Diakivtsi, Zynovyntsi, Kozhukhovo and others as well as certified copies and abstracts of the documents, dating as far back as 1442. These include certificates, purchase deeds, boundary-decrees, and bequests of the Uniate and Moldovan church Metropolitans to priests for parishes.
The activity of educational institutions is widely reflected in collections of Director of Podillia Voivodship Schools, including documents of Polish schools (1770s), Podillia gymnasium (1832-1846), the Bar School at the Uniate Church Monastery (the 1820s) and the Haisyn–Bratslav district schools (1819-1821).
Among the collections of private origin from the pre-Soviet period are those of the magnate families: the Potockis, the Grocholskis, the Stroganovs, the Shcherbatovs. They contain mainly private letters, photos, as well as the documents of legal and economic origin.
The Archives also contains birth registers from parishes of various denominations: Catholic (from 1773), Orthodox (from 1792), Judaic (from 1834), and Lutheran (from 1909).
The era of the Ukrainian National Rada and Hetmanate is represented in the collections of the Podillian Provincial Commissar of the Provisional Government, the Podillian Provincial Starosta (headman), the Podillia Provincial Commissar, the volost (commune) people’s councils, the Board of the Podillian Railway - establishments and organizations which had existed since pre-revolutionary times. These collections contain information about the organizing of local representation within the Tsentralna Rada, the Hetmanate and the Directorate.
In the collection of Vinnytsia City Council there is information on the presence of the Directorate and Government of the Ukrainian People’s Republic in Vinnytsia in February 1919, as well as the Chief Ataman of the Army of the Ukrainian People’s Republic, S. Petliura, in April-May, 1920. During World War II, Vinnytsia Region was a part of German and Rumanian occupied zones. Therefore, the Archives contains the collections of occupation provincial government organs, educational, judicial, and economic establishments. They also contain information about the struggle of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) brigades, the activities of Communist and nationalist underground organizations, about the economy and army provision, the accommodation of occupational troops, about prisoner-of-war camps, ghettos with lists of prisoners, and other materials.
From 1993 to 1999, documents of investigations of rehabilitated citizens - victims of political repressions, filtration cases of former Ostarbeiters and prisoners of war - were transferred to the Archives by the Regional Security Service of Ukraine. They cover the period from 1918 to the early 1980s.
Documents of the collections of Communist Party and Komsomol cover the period from 1919 (partially from 1917) to 1990. Particularly interesting are the collections of provincial, volost, district and oblast organizations of the Communist Party of Ukraine, containing the minutes of bureau meetings, plenary sessions, conferences; information of State tax inspectorate offices and police; and political and economic reviews of Podillia during the formative years of the Soviet period and its so-called Soviet modernization.
Collections of private origin are also of great importance. Of special note is the collection of composer H. Davydovsky (1866-1952), where the manuscripts of his compositions are preserved. Interesting materials relating to the history of the City of Vinnytsia at the beginning of the XX century were collected by H. Bryling (1897-1980), former Director of the Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy. As well, a large deposit ethnographic material is located the in funds of N. Prysiazhniuk and M. Rudenko.
A large body of information is contained within documentary photographs, which reflect events in public and political life, the development of national economy, education, public health, and daily lifestyle of the population. One particular collection contains photos of settlements between the end of the XIX century to the end of the XX century. One can trace the development of town-planning in the Vinnytsia region by examining these photos.
Total Volume of Collections 5 617 collections (1 468 069 units of preservation, 22 895 linear meters) for the years 1612-2011. 3 730 preservation units: scientific and technical documents for the years 1825-2002. 22 preservation units: documentary films for the years 1965-1994; 35 704 preservation units: documentary photographs for the years 1890-2010; 213 preservation units: audio-documents for the years 1961-1994.
Full list of archival catalogues, card files and reasearch group inventories is available online at:
Reading Room of the Archive is opened from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm.