Archiv města Plzně

  • Plzeň City Archives
  • Stadtarchiv Pilsen

History

The history of the city archives in Pilsen are from their beginning connected with the city government and its development.

Mandates/Sources of Authority

The Pilsen city archives are a department of the Municipality Pilsen.

Archival and Other Holdings

The City Archives of Pilsen currently contains 1340 archive fonds in the range of 3,566 linear meters. Among the most significant fonds are from the activities of the municipal administration from the years 1307-1945, the National committees (Národní vybor) (cities and boroughs), the Pilsen schools, associations, cultural, sport and political institutions, local (municipal) enterprises and organizations.

Based on changes in legislation in 2006-2007 all judicial fonds were handed over to the State regional archives Plzeň (SOA Plzeň).

The Library of the Pilsen City Archives contains more than 81,000 volumes of publications that can be studied full-time in the reading room or takeaway after completing the circulation list.

Of special interest is for example the fonds "Help service of the Pilsen Jewish community" (1941-1942)" (Pomocná služba náboženské obce židovské Plzeň, 1941-1942), which contains material about Jewish transports from Pilsen to the Theresienstadt Ghetto and Aryanization of Jewish property.

Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication

The register of residents of the City of Pilsen for the time from 1898 to 1921 are online available under: http://aplikace.plzen.eu/archivprihlasky/ An overview over the archival fonds and collections is online available under: http://amp.plzen.eu/fondy-a-pomucky/archivni-fondy-a-pomucky/. Finding helps are available in the reading room of the Pilsen City archives in Czech language.

Opening Times

The Reading Room of the Pilsen City Archives is open: Mondays and Wednesdays: 8:00 - 17:00

Research Services

The Pilsen City archives are offering service researches. Contact: archiv@plzen.eu.

Reproduction Services

Reproduction services are offered by the Pilsen City archives.