Budapest Főváros Levéltára

  • Budapest Municipal Archives
  • Budapest City Archives
  • BFL

History

Going back to historical antecedents as early as 1776, the Budapest Municipal Archives was established in 1901. It primarily holds the documents of and pertaining to the capital city of Hungary, including administrative files and the documents of families and individuals. Besides its archival and administrative functions, the institute also conducts various research projects, publishes extensively and organizes conferences, lectures and other academic and public events.

Geographical and Cultural Context

Budapest and vicinity

Archival and Other Holdings

The archival collections of the Budapest Municipal Archives consist of some 30,000 meters of archival records. The most important record groups are the documents of the municipal administration of Budapest (1873-1950), including the records of various administrative bodies and organizations of the city and district administrations (Municipal Assembly, Lord Mayor, district mayors, city management, public-utility companies, police, etc.) and the institutions of post-WWII retribution, including the documents of people’s courts and endorsement committees. The library comprises about 40,000 items, mostly books and periodicals concerning the history of Budapest and its vicinity. It is open only for registered users. The catalogue is available on-line: http://textlib.bparchiv.hu/. The archives also include a rich collection of plans and maps.

Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication

For a detailed description of the archival holdings of the Budapest Municipal Archives see: http://bfl.archivportal.hu/id-16-documents_of.html

On-line finding aids (in Hungarian): http://bfl.archivportal.hu/index.php?action=registrum

Opening Times

Budapest Municipal Archives is open to researchers on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am to 4pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 7pm. The institute is closed between August 1 and 31.

Accessibility

Budapest Municipal Archives is located about 300 metres away from the metro station Árpád híd of the Metro Line no. 2.

Scripts Used

  • Latin

Sources