Δημοτικο Μουσειο Καβαλας
- Kavala Municipal Museum
- Dimotiko Mouseio Kavalas
The Municipal Museum of Kavala was formed in 1969 as a Public Entity under the name "Folk Museum of Kavala". In July 1988 the museum opened its doors to the public. The museum will open at a new address in 2014.
Geographical and Cultural Context
Eastern Macedonia and Thrace, Kavala.
From 1988 until today , under the name " Municipal Museum of Kavala ", it was housed in a neoclassical building, dating from the first decade of the 20th century. The original house was renovated and restored to its original form.
Archival and Other Holdings
The Municipal Museum of Kavala hold records (copies) of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1835-1932) , the Foreign Office- British sub-Consulate of Kavala (1857-1914 , 1940-1941) , the French sub-Consulate of Kavala (1714-1717) and the Austrian Sub-Consulate of Kavala ( 1850-1890 ) . There are also private collections ( from 18th c entury until today). It has a Collection of the Kavala Labour Centre ( 1944-1985 ). A Collection of Documents of the Jewish Community (1940-1970) . A Photo Archive with photos and postcards of varying themes of 19th and 20th century . An audiovisual Archive with photographs , slides, films and oral testimonies related to the local history and the cultural tradition of Kavala .
Conditions of Access
Digital cameras are allowed. The use of lap-tops is permitted. Researchers must seek the written permission of the archivist before publication of any material from the archival holdings, and such publication much acknowledge the Archives source.
There are charges for photocopying/digital output. Services free of charge: entry to the reading room; use of finding aids/catalogues/computers; assistance from staff. Any copies that a researcher purchases are for personal use only. Copyright permission must be sought for further reproduction or publication.
Entry by V. Ritzaleos based on infromation provided by the staff.