Musée Juif de Belgique / Joods museum van België
- Jewish Museum of Belgium
The project to establish a Jewish museum in Belgium was born in the late 1970s as part of 150th birthday of Belgium. A group linked to the Consistory, chaired by Baron Jean Bloch, organised an exhibition about 150 years of Belgian Judaism. The success of that show led the organizers to create an art and history museum of the Belgian Judaism. The association Pro Museo Judaico was established in 1981 with the first objective to preserve and promoting the socio-cultural heritage of the Jewish community in Belgium and to collection of evidence of its past. In 1989 a team of researchers settled in at 74 Avenue de Stalingrad, above the Beth Israel synagogue. They introduced thirty exhibitions in parallel with the permanent exhibition. In 1999, the Belgian government conceded the Jewish Museum a group of buildings near the Sablon. The Museum was established in 2005 at 21 rue des Minimes in a spacious building in the heart of the historic district of the capital.
Archival and Other Holdings
The row of documents in the archives sprawls over more than 300 linear meters and mainly deals with the Belgian Jewry.
Open from 10h00 to 17h00. Closed on Monday Nocturnal visits on request
Jewish museum of Belgium website consulted on 04/11/2014
Pierre-Alain Tallier (dir.), Gertjan Desmet & Pascale Falek-Alhadeff, Bronnen voor de geschiedenis van de Joden en het Jodendom in België, 19de-21ste eeuw, Brussel, ARA-AGR/Avant-Propos, 2016, 1328 p.