Okresné živnostenské spoločenstvo vo Veľkých Kapušanoch
- Nagykaposi Járási Ipartársulat
- Tradesmen Association of the Veľké Kapušany District
Extent and Medium
1,44 linear meters
The Veľké Kapušany District after the First Vienna Arbitration, between 1938 and 1945, belonged to the Ung County. Its territory included 30 localities, 6 of which today are situated in the territory of Ukraine. According to the Hungarian census of 1941, there were approximately 1100 Israelites that inhabited the localities of the district. In Veľké Kapušany (in Hungarian Nagykapos) which had the largest Jewish community in the district, Jews formed about 17% of the population (464 Jewish inhabitants). Jews formed 12-15% of the membership of the Tradesmen Association of the Veľké Kapušany District and they were also represented in its leadership.
Scope and Content
The archival collection of the Tradesmen Association of the Veľké Kapušany District contains materials regarding Jewish industrialists and tradesmen who inhabited Veľké Kapušany and the localities of the Veľké Kapušany District. Two boxes of the collection are related to the wartime period, including various documents on anti-Jewish persecution, anti-Jewish regulations, and the situation of Jewish members of the association. The collection records preserve register books and the list of the association members too. (In 1940, the association had 281 members, of which 110 were from Veľké Kapušany.) Furthermore, one might find here documents concerning the revocation of the business certificate of Jewish tradesmen in the 1940s, the list of Jewish industrialists in Veľké Kapušany, as well as the list of Jewish textile merchants from 1941. The archival collection also contains the personal files of the secretary of the association, Lajos Gottfried who was sent to labor service because of his Jewish origin.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Reproduction
It is possible to make copies in accordance with the research rules of the archive.
No inventory is available. The collection is arranged chronologically in boxes and register books.
The fonds was described by Veronika Szeghy-Gayer. Description edited by Martin Posch.
Rules and Conventions
EHRI Guidelines for Description v.1.0