- Newspapers Archive
- Archeio Efimeridon
7 volumes of bound newspapers.
The Central Library of Thessaloniki was founded in 1932 and opened officially in 1939. During the German Occupation it remained closed and the books were stored in different warehouses. After the liberation, in 1944, it functioned in different locations of the city. In 2001, the new building of the Central Library of Thessaloniki was inaugurated.
The collection contains the anti-Semitic newspaper "Nea Evropi" (from 15-04-1941 to 22-02-1944), the newspaper "Makedonia" (1940-1941) and a number of the newspaper "Apogevmatini" (1941-1943) newspaper. All were printed in Thessaloniki. One can also find the local Jewish newspapers "L'Ιndépendant" (01-01-1940 to 07-04-1941) and "Le Progrès" (01-03-1940 to 30-12-1940).The collection consists of seven volumes; two volumes for "Nea Evropi", two volumes for "Makedonia", one volume for issues of "Apogevmatini" issues, one volume for "L'Ιndépendant" and one volume for "Le Progrès".
No restrictions on access.
It depends on physical condition of the material.
A handwritten catalogue, in Greek, of the newspapers is available.
Dimotiki Vivliothiki Thessalonikis (Kentriko Tmima).
English description written by Vasilis Ritzaleos.
Description is based on site survey, a Greek finding aid ("Chronological Catalogue of Newspapers of the Municipal Library of Thessaloniki") and information provided by library staff.