Державний архів в Автономній Республіці Крим
- State Archive in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv v Avtonomnii Respublitsi Krym
Autonomous Republic of Crimea
The State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea were created by the decision of the Commissioner of Education of the Crimean Soviet Socialist Republic on May, 22, 1919 on the organization of the Crimean Central Archives (Krimtsentrarhiv). From June, 27, 1919 to November 1920 the Archives have been teaching and supporting the establishment of Tavrida University. The Archives include documents of Tavrida provincial offices, created on February, 28, 1791 and collected documentary materials of former provincial agencies.
In November, 1920 according to the decision of the Department of Education of the Crimean Revolutionary Committee, the Krimtsentrarhiv was restored. Since June, 1921 the Krimtsentrarhiv became subordinate to the Crimean Regional Archival Department under the People's Commissariat of Education of the Crimean Autonomous Republic. On March, 18, 1922 the archival department and the archives were directly subordinate to the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, from January, 10, 1926 - the Central Executive Committee of the Crimean Autonomous Republic. On April, 21, 1926 the Central Executive Committee of the Crimean Autonomous Republic approved the "Regulations on the Crimean Central Archival Administration", by which the Crimean Archives had been divided into the Historical Archives and the Archives of the October Revolution.
On February, 4, 1939 the Archive was subordinated to the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Republic.
According to the decree of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR from March, 29, 1941 and Circular of the Main Archival Department of the USSR People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs on April, 7, 1941 the Historical Archives and the Archives of the October Revolution were united in a single Central State Archives of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, which became the subject of the National State Archives of the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Republic. According to the directive of the USSR People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs on June, 30, 1941 the secret documents of the Archives, as well as the Archives of the Crimean Regional Committee of the CPSU (B) were evacuated to Tyumen, Omsk Region, and were returned in 1945. The bulk of the archival documents remained in the occupied territories. During the Nazi occupation of 1941-1944 in Simferopol the Central and the Historical Archives were subordinated to the cultural department of city administration.
After the liberation from Nazi occupation in April 1944, the Central State Archives of the Crimean Autonomous Republic of the Republican State Archives of the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Republic resumed its activities in the territory of the Crimea.
Because of the liquidation of the Crimean Autonmous Soviet Socialist Republic and formation of the Crimean Oblast, the Central Archives was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Oblast of the Office of the Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the RSFSR on the Crimean Oblast in June 1945. In February, 1954 the Crimean Oblast became a part of the UkSSR. The Archives were renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Oblast of the Archival Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Oblast. According to the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on October, 4, 1958, the State Archives of the Crimean Oblast were renamed into the Crimean Oblast State Archives.
On July, 2, 1960 the Archives were subordinated to the Executive Committee of the Crimean Oblast Council of People's Deputies. According to the Order of the State Archival Department at the Council of Ministers on August, 7, 1980 No 67 and the Order of the Archival Division of the Executive Committee of the Crimean Oblast Council of People's Deputies on August, 15, 1980 No 42 the Crimean Oblast State Archives were renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Oblast. In connection with the reorganization of the executive power in 1988 and the elimination of archival departments of Oblast executive committees, the Archival management business in the area was moved to the State Archives. Since November, 22, 1988 the Archives are directly subordinated to the Executive Committee of the Crimean Oblast Council of People's Deputies, and was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Oblast at the Executive Committee of the Crimean Oblast Council of People's Deputies.
With the restoration in February, 1991 and the creation of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on March, 22, 1991, the Archives were renamed as the Central State Archives (Central State Archives of the Crimea), the Council of Ministers of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, and on August, 20, 1991 - the Council of Ministers of the ARC. Based on the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on October, 1, 1991 "On the transfer of the Archives of the Crimean Republic Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, the Central Archives of the Council of Ministers of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic" archival collections, building, production equipment and the staff of the Archives of the Crimean Revolutionary Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine were transferred to CDA Crimea. According to the order of the Main Archival Administration of Ukraine as of January, 6, 1995 N° 3 "On the renaming of the Central Archives of the Republic of the Crimea", from January, 6, 1995 the Archives were renamed into the State Archives under the Government of the Crimea, from April, 9, 1996 - the State Archives under the Government of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea, from October, 13, 1997 - the State Archives of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea. According to the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On National Archival Fund and Archival Institutions" of December, 13, 2001 No 2888—III and the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea on May, 22, 2002 No 150 "On measures to implement the resolutions of the Verkhovna Rada of Autonomous Republic of the Crimea". The Council of Ministers of the ARC approved the Regulations of the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea. This archive has this name so far.
The Archive hold documentary materials produced in the Crimea region from the time of its inclusion into Russia in 1783 until the present time (as well as few earlier documents, oldest of XVI century proviencence).
Before 2014 the Archive was operating on the basis of the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine"- "On National Archival Fund and Archival Institutions" of December, 13, 2001 No 2888—III and the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea on May, 22, 2002 No 150 "On measures to implement the resolutions of the Verkhovna Rada of Autonomous Republic of the Crimea".
These and other state and internal archival regulatory laws are accessible online at: http://www.daark.org.ua/2011-06-07-08-59-04.html
Since the spring of 2014, when the Russian Federation lawlessly annexed the Crimean peninsula, and inspired and supported separatist movements in Ukraine’s Donetsk region and Luhansk regions, the State Archive in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea today is not anymore under Ukrainian administrative control and legislation. As the international community did not recognize these transformations, this repository is presented in the EHRI Database in the status it had before the events of 2014, i.e. under the Ukrainian archival system.
The Archive is divided into 10 departments:
Securing of the documents
Organization and analytics
Human Resources and legal issues.
Formation of the National Archival Fond and Archival activities
Securing, Registration and Scientific Apparatus
Usage of Information, Documents and Information technologies
Laboratory of material securing and microfilming of the documents
Material and Technological maintenance of the building
The Archive has two buildings, the first is located at vul. Kechkemets'ka 3, and the second one at vul. Pavlenka 1a.
The Archives consist of documentary materials from the time of joining the Crimea to Russia (1783) till the present time. The earliest documents are from the XVI century, and preserved in the collection of the Commission, established to parse disputes over land and to determine the duties of the Tavrida province noble deputies meeting at the Crimean peninsula. They represent the labels of the Crimean Khans and Turkish Sultans Fermanaghes, confirming the property and estate rights of Crimean-Tatar aristocracy.
In a personal collection of the Popov family there are documents from the earlier period (1653-1920) - decrees, orders of Catherine II, the correspondence about diplomatic relations with the Crimea and Turkey, reports about the battles (1771-1773).
There are 170 labels and 64 Fermanaghes of the Crimean Khans in the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea. The earliest of them are: Sahib Giray's labels (1547-1549), Muhamet Giray's labels (1578) and also Sultan Murad's III (1582) and Mehmed's IV (1671) Fermanagh.
Period up to 1917 is represented by collections of Tavrida regional and provincial government, the Office of the Governor of Tavrida, Theodosia and Kerch-Yenikale mayors, town councils, managements, district and village administrations, police and judicial authorities, prosecutors and notaries; of birth and county offices, military and administrative and military institutions, tax, credit and customs agencies, institutions of the Ministry of the State, agriculture and forestry, transport and communications, building organizations and industrial enterprises, educational authorities, scientific and cultural institutions and organizations, institutions of spiritual authority. They reflect the political, economic and cultural life of Tavrida Region, the stages of development of cities and villages, the changes in the composition and movement of population, the establishment of colonies in the Crimea by immigrants from other countries, distribution of land to Russian nobility, development and construction of the Southern coast, the construction of factories, the development of fisheries, horticulture, viticulture and winemaking, the events of the Crimean War (1853-1856), opening schools, gymnasiums professional schools, medical institutions, activities in the field of historical and cultural heritage.
The period of the October Revolution and the Civil War (1917-1920) was reflected in the collections of institutions of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Tavrida, the first and the second Crimean regional government, the Crimean Soviet Socialist Republic in Chief of the Armed Forces in the South of Russia. The bulk of the archival documents are the collections of the period of 1921-2007. Creation and the ruling of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in 1921-1941, reconstruction and development of the national economy, cultural and nation-building are covered in documents of the Crimean, county, city, district revolutionary committees of the Central Executive Committee and the Council of People's Commissars of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, the Supreme Council of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, People's Commissars, county, city, district and village executive committees, Soviets of Workers, Peasants and Soldiers Deputies, consignment organizations. There ara documents on the five-year plans for the development of the national economy and culture of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, reviews by industry and construction, information on the study of the productive forces of the peninsula and the development of mineral resources, land use and building collective farms, conversion of All-Union health resort in the Crimea, information on the deployment of the schools, the cultural and educational establishments, the cases of deprivation of voting rights and dispossession.
The events of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) were recorded in the collections of the Crimean Republic Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, Sevastopol City Committee of Defense, the Crimean Staff of the Partisan Movement, the Crimean Commission on the history of the Great Patriotic War, the Crimean republican extraordinary commission on investigation of the atrocities the Nazis, Kerch and Theodosia Town Councils, rural communities and the public estates. The deportation from the Crimea in 1944 of the Crimean- Tatars, Bulgarians, Armenians, Greeks, represented by acts with the admission of the property by the special settlers and generalizing the data on his account.
A special set of documents are personal and family archives: autographs and photographs of the members of Romanov's royal family from Livadia archives, Karamzin-Mitsersky's correspondence (including the autograph of a prominent Russian historian and writer N. Karamzin), official and personal documents of Vorontsov-Dashkov, Kleinmichel. The Popov family fund contains letters and dispatches of duke G. Potemkin about the settlement of the Crimea, Sevastopol building, information about the status of Tavrida, autographs of senator and poet Derzhavin, inventor Kulibin, naval commander Ushakov.
Scientific and technical documentation is concentrated in the funds of Tavrida provincial drafting room, Building commission for the construction of urban theater and apartment building of the Tavrida province of noble deputies meeting, the Theodosia's city port management, heads of sections of the Crimean distance highway, Livadia-Massandra specific control in the Crimea, the Committee on the planning of resorts in the Crimea, the Crimean branch of the design of housing and civil engineering "Krymgrazhdan-proekt" Ukrainian state Institute from orchards and vineyards "Ukrgiprosad", the main research and design institute "Krymniiproekt". They represent projects of land building and land use, building cities of the Southern coast of the Crimea, plans and drawings of individual objects.
In recent years the substantial increasing of the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea was replenished with 45,473 filtrated cases of the former "osterbaytery" - citizens, stolen in 1942-1944 from the Crimea to work in Germany, and 11,522 cases of citizens who had been repressed in the 1920s-1950s and rehabilitated in the prescribed manner, transferred from the General Directorate of Security Service of Ukraine in the Crimea. In the Archives there are concentrated film-photo-audio-video materials, which reflect the sociopolitical, economic and cultural life of the Crimea in the newsreels and popular scientific television magazine, TV programs, sound recordings of the State Television and Radio Company of the Crimea, in the photo documents, received mainly from the editors of the Crimean newspapers, sent from agencies, enterprises sated up by an archive specialists. The Archives preserves the records of all-union song contests and festivals, parades amateur, music performed by soloists of the Crimean State Philharmonic.
Total Volume of Funds
By the time of 2012, there were 6 996 funds, 1 426 260 units of storing paper documents, 4 573 units of account of film documents, 37 774 units of account of documentary photographs, 169 units of account of video documents, 597 units of account of audio documents at the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea.
Державний архів в Автономній Республіці Крим: Анотований реєстр описів. - Т. 1. Фонди дорадянського періоду. - Сімферополь 2007 [State Archive in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea: Annoted Register of Records, vol. 1- Fonds of Pre-Revolutionary Period]
(this guide is accessible also online: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Publicat/Guidebooks/Reestr-Simferopol.pdf)
List of Archival Funds of the Soviet period is accessible online at: http://krymgosarchiv.ru/images/doc/ArchivFondi/Archiv_Istor/Sovetskie%20FONDI.pdf
List of Archival Funds produced by the Communist party bodies (so-called "Party funds)" is accessible online at: http://krymgosarchiv.ru/images/doc/ArchivFondi/Archiv_Istor/Partiynie%20FONDI.pdf
The Archive is operating from Monday till Thursday from 9 am. until 6 pm., with a lunch break between 1-1.45 pm.
On Friday, 9 am.-4.45 pm., with a lunch break between 1-1.45 pm (each last Friday of the month, the archive is closed to visitors)