Державний архів Луганської області
- State Archive of Luhansk Oblast
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Luhans'koi oblasti
prosp. Tsentralnyi 59
vul. Radians'ka 85
Luhansk Regional Archive Board was founded in 1925. Since 1932 it was registered as Luhansk State History Archive. Luhansk was renamed Voroshilovgrad on November 5, 1935.Accordingly all state bodies and departments underwent renaming too. In spring of 1938 Voroshilovgrad State History Archive was turned into Voroshilovgrad Oblast History Archive. Since December 3, 1938 all state archive boards were subordinated to NKVD. Voroshilovgrad Oblast History Archive was renamed Voroshilovgrad Oblast State Archive in 1941. In the period of Nazi occupation (1942) all archive documents were evacuated. Voroshilovgrad State Archive resumed its activity in 1943 after the liberation of the town. After the next renaming of Voroshilovgrad into Luhansk in 1958 the archive was registered as Luhansk Oblast State Archive. It was subordinated to Luhansk Regional Executive Committee. Since 1990 it has been officially registered as the State Archive of Luhansk Oblast. According to the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of Ukraine from August 27, 1991, the Archive of the Luhansk Oblast Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine was liquidated and its holdings constituted a section of the State Archive.
Before 2014, the State Archive of Luhansk Oblast worked on the ground of the Law about the National Archival Holdings and Archival Institutions, News of the Supreme Council of Ukraine (Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy), No 15/1994 with later changes and normative act (polozhenniya) about the State Archive of Luhansk Oblast, confirmed April 1, 2013 by the local state administration.
Since the spring of 2014, when the Russian Federation lawlessly annexed the Crimean peninsula, and inspired and supported separatist movements in Ukraine’s Donetsk region and Luhansk regions, the State Archive of Luhansk Oblast today is not anymore under Ukrainian administrative control and legislation. As the international community did not recognize these transformations, this repository is presented in the EHRI Database in the status it had before the events of 2014, i.e. under the Ukrainian archival system.
The State Archive of Luhansk Oblast is located at 85 Radianska Street. There is a workroom in the building.
The archive possesses 4953 collections making 1 472 095 archival units, dating from the years 1763-2007. It has also 472 units of film documents, 19 346 photographs and 215 units of sound recordings. The earliest documents are in the collections of Luhansk foundry plant, Luhansk and Slovyanoserbsk land departments, boards of share-holding companies, plants, mining diggings and many other businesses and enterprises that used to work in the region. In the depository of Luhansk foundry plant one can find the registers about the foundation of Luhansk plant settlement which was the beginning of Luhansk town construction. The depository contains different revision inventories, houses projects for the plant workers and the foremen, the Senate order about the resettlement of the villagers from Novorossiya province and their registration at the plant. The depositories of Luhansk factories contain informative letters about its operation, lists about the revolutionary disturbances of 1905,workers strikes in 1912 and 1916. The collections of Luhansk and its region contain handwritten documents (registration books of births, marriages and deaths) of 1787–1927 years. The documents of the Soviet period include the listings of various events in the years of revolution in Ukraine (1917–1920), the losses caused by intervention, requisition of landowners estates, repressions against the landowners, setting up of agricultural cooperatives. The collections of district, village and settlement executive bodies include the evidences about surplus appropriation system and famine of 1930’s. The depository of the regional committee on the matters of identification and investigation into the crimes of the Nazi occupants holds the evidences about the losses caused to the citizens, villagers, social and public establishments, state industries in the years of World War II. The archive holds the documents of various public bodies, regional Communist party committees and Komsomol organization. They depict complicated processes of the Communist party system development, methods to resist the public opposition in villages, of famine and repressions in 1930’s, activity of the local Communist party and Komsomol underground and partisan movements in the years of World War II.
The State Archive’s holdings are available in the workroom open Monday - Thursday 10.00 – 16.00,