Державний архів Кіровоградської області
- State Archive of Kirovohrad Oblast
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Kirovohradskoi oblasti
On November 17, 1925, at a meeting of the presidium of Zinovievsk okruh executive committee, it was decided to create an archival department to organize the archives of the okruh executive committee. At the end of 1930, this department was dissolved, and the Zinovievsk city archive department was created. At the beginning of 1932, the Zinovievsk city archives department changed its name to the Zinovievsk State Historic Archives. With the renaming of Zinovievsk to Kirovo in 1934, the name of the archives also changed: the Zinovievsk State Historical Archives was renamed the Kirovo State Historical Archives. After the establishment of Kirovohrad Oblast in 1939, the Kirovo State Historical Archives was renamed to the Kirovohrad Oblast State Historical Archives. From 1941 to 1958, the archives was called the State Archives of Kirovohrad Oblast, from 1958 to 1980 it was the Kirovohrad Oblast State Archives, and since 1980 – the State Archives of Kirovohrad Oblast. According to the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of Ukraine from August 27, 1991, the Archive of the Kirovohrad Oblast Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine was liquidated and its holdings constituted a section of the State Archive.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Nowadays, The State Archive of Kirovohrad Oblast works on the ground of the Law about the National Archival Holdings and Archival Institutions, News of the Supreme Council of Ukraine (Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy), No 15/1994 with later changes
The State Archive of Kirovohrad Oblast is located in two buildings: building no 1 at 3 Akademika Korolyova Street and building no 2 (former Communist party archive) at 1 Chornovola (formerly Lunacharskoho) Street.
Archival and Other Holdings
The archive possesses 8230 collections making 1 309 200 archival units, dating from the years 1759-2011. It has also 251 units of film documents, 23465 photographs and 288 units of sound recordings. Documents of the archives are illustrating the economic, political and cultural development of the Yelysavethrad, Oleksandriia and Bobrynets counties of Kherson governorate, the history of Yelysavethrad, the settlement and development of the lands surrounding the fortress of Saint Elisabeth, the formation of military settlements, and the development of crafts and trade The collections of the period from XVIII century to the beginning of XX century are containng the documents of local self-governing bodies, courts and police, land survey and boundary establishments, educational and religious institutions. The documents provide information about national and class structure of the population of the territory, the organization and activities of self-governing bodies, taxes, compulsory military service and other responsibilities, the development of industry, commerce, construction, public education, culture, as well as information about the activities of religious denominations and institutions, about the construction, design and property of temples, and the births registers of Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Judaic and Protestant religion. Post-1917 documents make up a major part of the archive’s collection, and are contained in the collecitions of administrative authorities and state self-governing bodies, industrial enterprises, agricultural establishments and organizations, construction, transport, communication, science, education and culture, trade union and public organizations, and in personal collections and documents. The collections of establishments that operated during the period of Nazi occupation (1941-1944) form a separate group. These are the collections of the Office of Command for keeping order in Ukraine, the Kirovohrad and Oleksandriia gebiet commissariats, district and city boards and their departments, village boards, police establishments, court, statistics, industrial enterprises, land departments and boards, bureaus of agricultural production, directorate of state property, state farms, and community property. They reflect “new order” of the occupational regime and the living conditions of the population in the occupied territory, and contain information about persons who transported for forced labor to Germany. The funds of party and Komsomol organizations (regional committees of party and Komsomol, city committees, district committees of party and Komsomol, separate primary party and Komsomol organizations, establishments and enterprises) for 1920-1941 and 1944-1991 contain information about Communist party and Komsomol activities, and the social, political , economic and cultural development of the territory. This group of documents also reveals the history of the underground movement in the occupied territory during the period of the Second World War. The fund of the Department of the Committee for State Security in Ukraine for Kirovohrad Oblast keeps archival evidences of the cases of victims of the political repressions of 1920-1950 and review cases of people who were forcibly transported to Germany during the war.
The State Archive’s holdings are available in the workrooms open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9.00 – 17.00