Державний архів Хмельницької області
- State Archive of Khmelnytskyi Oblast
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Khmelnytskoi oblasti
The formation of the archives in Podillya began in 1922 with thе creation of Kamyanets-Podilsky Governorate Archives Administration. In 1930 after the liquidation of governorates it was renamed the Kamyanets-Podilskyi Land Archival Administration. In 1932 the Kamyanets-Podilskyi and Proskuriv (today: Khmelnytskyi) historical archives were subordinated to Vinnytsya Oblast Archival Administration. In 1937 the Kamyanets-Podilsky Oblast was founded and the Archives was renamed into the State Historical Archives of Kamyanets-Podilsky Oblast. During World War II the the documents of the Communist Party and the Soviet authorities were evacuated. During the transportation all the collections of the Proskuriv Historical Archives were destroyed. In 1954 with the renaming of the Oblast into Khmelnytskyi, accordingly the Archives was renamed into Khmelnytskyi Oblast State Archives in Kamyanets-Podilsky Town and since 1980 it has been the State Archives of Khmelnytskyi Oblast. In 1990 the Archives was transferred from Kamyanets-Podilsky to Khmelnytskyi into a new specialized typical building. According to the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of Ukraine from August 27, 1991, the Archive of the Khmelnytskyi Oblast Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine was liquidated and its holdings constituted a section of the State Archive. On April, 9, 2003 the work of the Kamyanets-Podilsky Municipal Archives was stopped and on April. 10, 2003 the fire broke out in the premises of the archives, having destroyed and damaged 101 225 files of five the most valuable collections concerning the history of Podillya Province. In accordance with the order of the State Comittee of Archives of Ukraine on April, 14, 2003 all the documents of the National Archival Collections of liquidated Kamyanets-Podilsky Municipal Archives were transported to the Khmelnytskyi Oblast State Archives.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Nowadays, The State Archive of Khmelnytskyi Oblast works on the ground of the Law about the National Archival Holdings and Archival Institutions, News of the Supreme Council of Ukraine (Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy), No 15/1994 with later changes.
The State Archive of Khmelnytskyi Oblast is located in two buildings: building no 1 at 99 Hrushevskoho Street and building no 2 at 4 Teatralna Street.
Archival and Other Holdings
The archive possesses 8105 collections making 1 949 300 archival units and 22 961 running meters, dating from 1598 to 2005. It has also 43 595 photographs and 435 units of sound recordings. The archives preserves the collections of the local state authorities of the pre-Soviet period, which contain the decrees of the Senate, the circulars of the ministries, the circulars of Kyiv governor generals. Further collections are concerning the institutions of the class, county and town self-government. The archive preserves also the collection of documents of judiciary authorities, education and health care institutions, Orthodox and Catholic religious institutions. The documents of Soviet period are grouped in the collections of the local state authorities, judiciary and national security authorities, institutions of national economy, health care, education and culture, as well as the collection of the Khmelnytskyi Oblast Committee of the CPU. 57 funds of personal origin of famous people from Khmelnytskyi oblast are kept in the archives. In 1993 the collections of the institutions and organizations of the Soviet epoch before 1941 and the period of the Nazi occupation, the collections of the institutions up to 1965 were declassified.
The State Archive’s holdings are available in the workroom open Monday - Thursday 9.00 – 17.00
YV/ClaimsCon'06/ online search