Державний архів Дніпропетровської області
- State Archive of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Dnipropetrovs'koi oblasti
In the year 1920, Katerynoslav Gubernial Archives Committee affiliated with guberniya's department of public education was founded. On February 1, 1922, the Katerynoslav Gubernial Archives (known as Katerynoslav Gubernial Historic Archives since 1923) was established. As the after-effect of oblast extension in 1926, Dnipropetrovsk and Pavlograd Archives Boards merged into Dnipropetrovsk Land Historic Archives. On October, 1, 1931 the Dnipropetrovsk Local Archives Board was initiated in affiliation with and under supervision of the city council. After Dnipropetrovsk oblast has been formed in 1932, the Archives were named the State Archives of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast and came under supervision of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Archives Board. Within the time period of 1938–1959, the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Historic Archives were subordinated to the Archives Department of NKVD in Dnipropetrovsk oblast. With the outbreak of World War II certain amount of documents and reference aids of the Archives were evacuated, out of those left behind on the occupied territory over 770 000 units for 1736–1941 period vanished. In 1943 after the liberation of Dnipropetrovsk region the Archives recommenced its work. In 1958 the Archives was renamed into the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast State Archives, and in 1980 into the State Archives of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, and since 1992 it has been subordinated to the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast State Administration. According to the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of Ukraine from August 27, 1991, the Archive of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine was liquidated and its holdings constituted a section of the State Archive.
Nowadays, The State Archive of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast works on the ground of the Law about the National Archival Holdings and Archival Institutions, News of the Supreme Council of Ukraine (Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy), No 15/1994 with later changes and normative act (polozhenniya) about the State Archive of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, confirmed 8.04.2013 by the local state administration.
The State Archive of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast is located in two buildings: building no 1 at 89 M. Hrushevski Street and building no 2 (former Communist party archive) at 10 Yaroslav the Wise Street. There are workrooms in both buildings.
The archive possesses 4706 collections making 1 348 654 archival units, dating from the last quarter of the XVIIIth century to 2011. It has also 52 903 photographs and 492 units of sound recordings. The oldest manuscripts dating back to the XVIII century are preserved in the funds of Katerynoslav Boundary Office, Fiscal Chamber and in the Chambers of Civil and Criminal Courts, etc. Records concerning religious institutions' activity and landownership, spiritual education, construction of churches and descriptions of church property are preserved in the funds of Katerynoslav Spiritual Consistory, Katerynoslav Spiritual Administration, Katerynoslav Preobrazhensky Cathedral. The church metrical books collection of Katerynoslav province with the records of XVIII–XX centuries deserves special notice. Records of local state governmental and administrational bodies comprise a significant part of XIX – early XX centuries funds. The funds of establishments, organizations, enterprises of World War II period make up a separate set. The Archives holds collections of records concerning economic, cultural, social and political life of Dnipropetrovsk oblast (1923–1998), memories of the local residents regarding Famine of 1932-1933 in Ukraine, documents concerning wealthy peasants and their families facing deportations from Dnipropetrovsk oblast, records about veterans of the Great Patriotic War and memories of those involved into Afganistan War (1979-1989), etc. There are funds of personal origin with the documents belonging to the participants of revolutionary events in Katerynoslav guberniya in 1905–1907 and 1917. There are documents from the funds of local committees of the Communist Party of Ukraine and Komsomol, primary parties organizations along with Komsomol organizations. The following archival units were declassified and became available: photographs of members of the Social-Democratic and other parties, participants of anti-governmental riots and revolts, funds of separate establishments, organizations and enterprises operating on this territory in 1917–1941 (emergency commissions, military enlistment offices, departments of workers and peasants militia and others) and during Nazi occupation (editorials of district newspapers, the Dnipropetrovsk City Board, Ukrainian University, rural societies of consumers, public ownerships, district and rural boards, land societies), official newspapers distributed over the occupied territory (1941–1943), documents of Committee on the damage accounts, inflicted by Nazi invaders together with their accomplices, documents of the repatriated citizens, correspondence and letters of the citizens held in Nazi captivity, funds of the authorized councils in religious cults affairs and Russian orthodox church (1944–1965), etc. The Security Department Board of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast contributed to the filtered cases on repatriated citizens as well as criminal cases of extra-judicial bodies on the former political prisoners, the Department of Internal Affairs in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast contributed judges of conviction in criminal cases of dispossession and registration cards on the deported wealthy peasants and their families.
2-volume published guide in Ukrainian on the collections (including those of Nazi-occupation period and the Holocaust) is available:
Державний архів Дніпропетровської області.: Путівник /У двох томах/. Том 1. – Д.: Герда, 2009. – 485 с. (see http://www.archives.gov.ua/Publicat/Guidebooks/DADO-2009_1.pdf)
Державний архів Дніпропетровської області.: Путівник /У двох томах/. Том 2. – Д.: Герда, 2009. – 545 с. (see http://www.archives.gov.ua/Publicat/Guidebooks/DADO-2009_2.pdf)
The State Archive’s holdings are available in the workrooms open Monday - Thursday 10.00 – 17.00