Центральный государственный архив Санкт-Петербурга
- Central State Archive of St. Petersburg
- Tsentralnyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Sankt-Peterburga
Archive of the October Revolution (first predecessor of the current archive) was created in the years 1925-1927 in Leningrad (St. Petersburg). Its task was to collect documents relating to the contemporary history of the city and its region from 1917 and following years.
In 1936 Archive obtained status of separate institution as the Leningrad Archive of the October Revolution. In 1941 Archive was enlarged by the other provincial archives from the region and the local archive of the Red Army. During the Second World War and in 1950s archive obtained also valuable documents related to the war activities in the region.
In the 1960 and 1970s, due to the creation of the new archives in St. Petersburg: Cinematic and Photographic Documents Archive, Literature and Arts Archive and Science and Technology Archive - parts of the subject related collections were transferred there.
Current archive was created officially in 1991, on the basis of the former Archive of October Revolution.
Geographical and Cultural Context
Archive holds documents concerning the history of St. Petersburg (Leningrad) city and area from the 1917 until the present day.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Main normative basis of the Archive is the decision of the St. Petersburg Authorities from 08.10.2007 № 1272 on the basis of which new «Central State St. Peterburg Archive (TzGA)» was created.
Archive is divided into 7 departments:
Usage of the documents and inquiries
Securing and State Registry of the documents
Acquisition, archival activities and departamental archives.
Usage and publication of the documents.
Information, reference system and archival technologies.
Material-technological, logistics and maintenance of buildings and equipment.
Archive has two buildings, containing two separate reading rooms: first at Varfolomeyevskaya 15 and second at Antonova-Ovseenko 1
Archival and Other Holdings
Archive holds currently 4 579 Research Groups and 3.106.997 archival folders.
Archive holds documents from the history of St. Petersburg (Leningrad) city and area from the 1917 until the present day. Among them researchers can find documents created by all the branches of city and regional administration from Soviet and post-Soviet period, all regional Communist Party institutions, industrial, economical and social institutions.
Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication
Full Finding Aid to the resources of the Archive is available online:
Full list of Archival Record Groups is available at:
The archive has two reading rooms.
- ul. Antonova-Ovseenko 1 k. 1 open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9.30am and 5.30 pm, and on Tuesdays between 11.30 am and 7.30 pm
- ul. Varfolomeyevskaya 15 open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8.30 am and 5.00 pm