Государственный архив Брянской области
- State Archive of Bryansk Oblast
- Gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Brianskoy oblasti
ul. Fokina 45a
The state archive in Bryansk was established in 1922. Its creation was based on 1918 V.I.Lenin decree "on restructurization and centralization of archives" and 1919 decree regarding creation of provincial archives. Collections inherited from pre-revolutionary state administration and following civil war were in the terrible condition. In the 1920s and 1930s slowly archive started to catalogue and organize its collection, and was provided facilities which enabled its preservation. In 1923 the archive had only 15 registered record groups, in 1929 their number rose to 83. In 1937 following the Soviet administration reform Bryansk Archive became the branch of the Archive of the Orel Oblast.
During the Second World War, between years 1941 and 1943 Bryansk was under German occupation. Before that authorities had evacuated 108 most valuable record groups and placed them in Volsk, in Saratov Oblast. About one quarter of the archival material that stayed in Bryansk was destroyed during the war (about 200.000 archival folders).
After liberation in 1944 Bryansk Oblast was reestablished together with its archive. After the war relocation and desctruction new archival documentation had to be created. It was finished in 1951. In 1971 archive was relocated into the new building where it is placed until now. From 1991 archive is governed by the Bryansk provincial authority of Russian Federation.
From 2011 Archive has two additional branches:
- Documentation Center of the Contemporary History of the Bryansk Oblast
- Archive of the documents referring to the population of the Bryansk Oblast
Archive contains documents referring to the regional history encompassing time period between 1709 and 2003.
State Archive of Bryansk Oblast, together with its two branches, is a separate legal institution, operating on the basis of decision nr. 885 from 3 October 2011 and decision nr. 2295 from 13 October 2011.
State Archive of Bryansk Oblast operates on the basis of federal laws issued by the Russian Federation:
- Federal law from 22 October 2004, Nr. 125-FЗ "On the archives activity in the Russian Federation" (with ammendments from 11 February 2013)
(full law: http://www.edou.ru/enc/docs/detail.php?ID=2468)
- Law of the Bryansk Oblast from 29 November 2007 "On the archives activity in the Bryansk Oblast" (with amendments from 2 February 2012)
- "Laws of organization, preservation, acquisition, registration and usage of documents of the Russian Federation archival resource in the state and municipal archives, libraries and branches of the Russian Academy of Science" from 19 January 2007 (nr. 19), amended 16 February 2009 (nr. 68).
- "Regulations concerning users and readers in the reading rooms of state archives of the Russian Federation" from 6 July 1998, nr. 51.
State Archive of Bryansk Oblast organizational structure has 5 departments:
Department of acquisition of archival resources of Russian Federation, departmental archives and records management.
Department of securing and registration of the documents of Russian Federation archival resources
Department of copying, restoration and binding of archival documents
Department of publication and use of the documents
Department of scholar reference system and automated archival technologies.
Russian language finding aid for the Bryansk Oblast Archive is accessible online (in pdf version):
Looking for the content of particular record groups that are in the archive researchers may use also on-line archival database browser:
From Monday to Thursday (except the holidays) between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m (with a break between 1 and 2 p.m.)
Access to the archival reading room is provided on the basis of the prior application of the potential guest. Academic researchers or other professionals are required to provide letters from their institutions stating subjects and objectives of their work in the archive.
Archive is providing full research servive regarding its holdings.
Detailed price list of such research is available at:
YV/ClaimsCon'06/online search http://www.archive-bryansk.ru/