Oddziałowe Archiwum Instytutu Pamięci Narodowej w Katowicach
- The Branch Archive of the Institute of National Remembrance in Katowice
The Institute of National Remembrance - Branch in Katowice. Branch Office for Preservation and Dissemination of Archival Records was created in 2000.In 2016 it was renamed the Branch Archive of the Institute of National Remembrance in Katowice.
The Branch Archive of the Institute of National Remembrance in Katowice works on the ground of the Act on the Institute of National Remembrance of December 18, 1998, Journal of Law (Dziennik Ustaw) 07.63.424 with changes and the Act on Reveal of Information about Secret Service's Documents from 1944-1990, Journal of Law (Dziennik Ustaw) 07.63.425 with changes.
The archive possesses over 11,5 running kilometers of collections and archival founds (as for July 31, 2008). There are two kinds of holdings:
- The file holdings (over 770 running meters):
- General files of Militia and Security Service (Służba Bezpieczeństwa - SB) in Katowice, Bielsko-Biała and Częstochowa,
- personal files of Militia and SB functionaries,
- passport files.
- The record holdings:
- records of Militia and secret services,
- judicial records (courts and public prosecutor's offices),
- records of prisons,
- records of public administration (District Commissions on Investigation of Nazi Crimes in Katowice, Częstochowa, Będzin, Pszczyna (later: Investigation of Crimes against Polish Nation), records of former Religious Denominations Offices (Urzędy ds. Wyznań) in Częstochowa, Bielsko-Biala, Katowice, records of Katowice Board of Education). The archival holdings are systematically supplemented by donations of individual people.
The holdings are available in the workroom open: Monday- Thursday 8.30 - 17.30 and Friday 8.00 - 15.00.