Klaipėdos regioninio valstybės archyvo Telšių filialas
- Klaipėda Regional State Archives Telšiai Branch
- Telšių apskrities archyvas
- Telšiai County Archives
At the beginning of its activity, it kept a number of documents from the period of the Republic of Lithuania (municipalities of the towns of Telšiai, Plungė, Mažeikiai, hospitals, credit societies, schools, notaries, prisons, land sorting commissions, mortgage offices, courts, factories and other institutions), but in 1968-1969 all of these documents were handed over to the Central State Archive of the Lithuanian SSR and the Historical Archive. Only records from the post-war Soviet period and a few fonds from the period of the Republic of Lithuania (the fonds of the Telšiai Žemaitė Gymnasium, the collection of land tax books, and the fonds of the Telšiai Prison) remained in the Telšiai County Archive.
From its establishment until 1986, the archive was located in the basement of the building of the Executive Committee of the Telšiai District Council of People's Deputies (now the Bishops' Palace), from where it was moved to the new building designed especially for the archive. After reorganizing the Telšiai County Archives, in 2017 it became the Telšiai branch of the Klaipėda Regional State Archives.
Preserves documents of the regional state, municipal, and non-state institutions and individuals of the Telšiai, Akmenė, Mažeikiai and Plungė districts from 1945 until the present day. Archives are also involved in supervising records management of local public institutions.
The activities of the Archives have been arranged in accordance with the Lithuanian Constitution, European Union legislation, and additional laws that regulate the activities of the Archives as a public government office.
Archives’ holdings comprise of 1748 linear meters of records.Telšiai County Archives comprise 2 sets of documents:
Documents relating to the Soviet occupation period: documents created by local governments that were functioning on the territory of Telšiai County before 1990; institutions of law and order, justice, statistics, planning, finance, construction, architecture, transport, trade and cooperation, teaching and education, culture, health care; also industrial enterprises and public institutions. Documents relating to the period of Independence: documents created by local governments, state institutions, offices and industrial enterprises that were functioning and are still functioning on the territory of Telšiai County since 1990; documents submitted by public organizations, legal and natural persons.
Holocaust related are records of various county agencies (State Notary, County Executive Council, People's Court etc) related to the restitution and inheritance of individual and communal Jewish property located in the Telsiai County after World War II, including sales contracts, wills, sales records and personal documentation of Jewish residents trying to re-establish ownership over their property and/or inheritance rights.
Working hours of the archive reading room are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, and until 3:00 p.m. on Fridays and days before public holidays.
The reading room serves only registered readers who have submitted written requests to the reading room employee directly, by mail, or by other electronic means.
Searching for documents is carried out with the help of archive information systems, archive fond directories, descriptions, files, topographic files and according to the alphabetical and systematic catalogs of some fonds.
Readers can order copies of documents after paying for their reproduction. Upon request, it is allowed to photograph documents with personal photographic equipment.