Državni arhiv - odjel u Novoj Gradiški
- State Archive in Slavonski Brod - the town of Nova Gradiška Department
Geographical and Cultural Context
The settlement of Jews in Nova Gradiska did not start until 1868 because of military restrictions, as it was a military base town in the Habsburg period. Prior to this (from 1803) the center of Jewish community was in nearby civilian town Cernik. Jewish population came mainly from Hungary, Moravia, Burgenland and Galicia. In Cernik (Požega County) regulations were more tolerant and stimulating for the development of trade. In 1910, in the city of Nova Gradiska there were 338 Jews (5% of the population) and they significantly contributed to the development of their city. The most significant trade, wholesale trade and crafts in the city until 1941 were run by Jewish families: Wachsler, Schmidek, Bauer, Roth, Stern, Rotenstein, Weis, Kohn, Neumann and others. In 1925 they built a synagogue (in today's Stepinac street). The synagogue was demolished in 1941. Most Jews of the Gradiska region perished in the nearby Jasenovac concentration camp.
Archival and Other Holdings
There is a high chance Holocaust related material can be found in the 1941-1945 collections referring to administrative affairs, police records, nationalization of "foreign" property, as well as birth records of individuals and families. Check however with the archivist by email or phone whether the material (some finding aid available online through the link above) are situated in the Nova Gradiska branch or in the central institution, the Croatian State Archive Zagreb.
Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication
See the book by Vjekoslav Žugaj, "Židovi novogradiškog kraja" (2001)
8-2, working days