Državni arhiv u Karlovcu
- The Karlovac State Archive
Geographical and Cultural Context
Jewish community in Karlovac existed from the second half of the 19th century when Ashkenazic Jewish immigrants from Hungary, Bohemia, Moravia and Austria moved south to Croatia. The Jewish quarter, called Zidovska varos, had a synagogue, designed and built in 1870-1871 by Ernest Muehlbauer. During WW II it was used as a warehouse and totally devastated. Finally, the synagogue was torn down around 1960 since survived Jews never came back to Karlovac (see book: Slavko Goldstein: "1941 - the Year That Repeats Itself"). The Jewish Cemetery at Velika Svarca/Dubovac dates from 1816. It has a fine Ceremonial Hall and about 200 monuments. The property was nationalized in 1958 and protected as a historical landmark.