Federace židovských obcí v České republice
- Federation of Jewish Communities in the Czech Republic
The Council of Jewish Communities in Bohemia and Moravia-Silesia was created in 1945 and was intended to represent the Jewish community in the Czech lands. It sought the rehabilitation of the racially persecuted, to secure citizenship for Jews returning from concentration camps and exile and the restitution of Jewish property. In 1947, 53 Jewish Religious Communities were recognised by the state and the Council brought them together under one organisation. After the fall of the communist regime in 1989, the Council transformed into the Federation of Jewish Communities in the Czech Republic and it now acts as an umbrella organisation for Jewish religious communities. There are currently ten independent Jewish communities in the Czech Republic - in Prague, Liberec, Děčín, Ústí nad Labem, Teplice, Karlovy Vary, Plzeň, Brno, Olomouc and Ostrava.
Archival and Other Holdings
Following liberation, records of Jews persecuted during World War II were created at the Jewish Religious Community in Prague, thereafter the Council. The Jewish Religious Community served as a place of registration for survivors and for passing along information on family members deported during the occupation. In addition to other materials, the foundation of these records was the card indexes: the central card index includes all the cards from the time of the Second World War and from the post-war period. A special section is smaller files, including the card indexes for employees of the wartime Jewish Religious Community.
If you are interested in further information please contact the Federation of Jewish Communities in the Czech Republic (firstname.lastname@example.org).
HÁJKOVÁ, Alena: Vznik a složení kartotéky židovských osob z let nacistické okupace [Creation and Composition of Card Index on Jewish Persons from during the Nazi Occupation]. In: KÁRNÝ, Miroslav - LORENCOVÁ, Eva: Terezínské studie a dokumenty 2000 [Terezín studies and documents 2000], Prague 2000.