Държавен архив - Смолян
- SMOLYAN STATE ARCHIVE
The Smolyan State Archive is a division within the Regional State Archives of Plovdiv Directorate. It manages the selection, acquisition, registration, processing, preservation and provision for use of the documents identified for permanent storage, which stem from the district administration, the municipalities of the Smolyan region, the territorial structures of the state bodies and other state and municipal institutions, organisations and important figures of local significance; as well as the scientific and methodological guidance and control of the organisation, preservation and use of documents in the archival services.
The Archive was created in 1963 under the subordination of the People’s County Council of Smolyan and in 1988 it was incorporated within the structure of the Municipality of Smolyan. In 1992 it passed under the direct governance of the General Department of Archives at the Council of Ministers. In 1978 it received the status of a directorate, but in 2010 it was reformed into a division.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Through the years the Archive was headed by: Andrey Pechilkov (1963–1966;1980–1997), Branko Davidov (1966–1975), Maria Bogdanova (1975–1980), Dimiter Sevov (1997–2009).
Records Management and Collecting Policies
There are 11 177 volumes of vocational literature on history, archivology and other fields of science; dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, finding aids, guides, catalogs, documentary editions and periodicals.
From 1988 the Archive is a new renovated building with well equipped offices, repositories and photo lab (till 1998).
A reading room, a library, a restoration lab and an exhibition hall are operative at the Archive.
Archival and Other Holdings
After the administrative and territorial changes in 1959, 54 fonds and 14 partial accessions were transferred from the State Archives of Plovdiv and Haskovo. In 1993 the fonds and collections of the former County Committee of BCP containing 678 fonds and 171.43 linear metres with 12973 archival units, 693 memoirs and 615 partial accessions, 3525 photos and 558 albums entered the Archive.
As of the 1st Jan. 2011 the total fonds’ amount of the Archive is 1680.94 linear meters with 2686 archival fonds (public 2421 and private 265) with 182 406 archival units; 1513 partial accessions and 1181 memoirs. The Security fonds consists of 430 rolls with 649 611 frames of negatives.