Communauté Israélite Libérale de Belgique

  • Liberal Jewish Community of Belgium
  • CILB Beht Hillel

History

The Liberal Jewish Community of Belgium was founded in 1965 by a group of friends from Anglo-Saxon countries, where this type Reformed Judaism open to persuasion was commonly practiced. The rabbis nominated the appointment of Rabbi Abraham (Albert) Dahan, engaged for more than four decades in this community. He organised a Sunday school and a program with specific courses. Also the first religious ceremonies took place: weddings, circumcisions, bar- and bat mitzvot. The community was growing and finds new premises in 1976 and acquired a warehouse located on the Avenue Kersbeek. The synagogue was inaugurated in 1979. At the same time a training school of Judaism (Talmud Torah) was set up, hosting dozens of children and adults. Beth Hillel was not recognised by consistorial religious authorities. One of the main objects of controversy is the non-recognition of the Jewishness of some members of Beth Hillel, resulting in the refusal to bury in the plots of the two Jewish cemeteries. The CA of Beth Hillel acquires a concession in the cemetery of Kraainem, Gan Hashalom, for an independent plot to bury members CILB. Finally, Beth Hillel was recognised as "Factory Church", which allows to receive core funding and public financial contributions. These subsidies, in addition to the generosity of members and friends, allowed to build a new building located 80 rue des Futures, opened in September 2005.

Opening Times

Open only by appointment

Languages Used

  • English

Scripts Used

  • Latin

Sources

  • Communauté Israélite Libérale de Belgique website consulted on 29/10/2014

    Pierre-Alain Tallier (dir.), Gertjan Desmet & Pascale Falek-Alhadeff, Bronnen voor de geschiedenis van de Joden en het Jodendom in België, 19de-21ste eeuw, Brussel, ARA-AGR/Avant-Propos, 2016, 1328 p.