Historijski arhiv Sarajevo
- Sarajevo Historical Archives
Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
+387 33 55 44 60
The archive was formed on 3 of May 1948, as Archive of Sarajevo. It was founded by the People's Commitee of Sarajevo (Act I/6491, officialy published on 20th of May 1948).
The Archive of Sarajevo moved on several occasions as many of the sites chosen lacked the necessary conditions for professional and adequate protection of archival records.
Since 1999, the Archive has been stationed in the building at Alipašina 19, but it also has depots in Vrbanjuša and other locations.
The name of the Archive was changed in 1975, when it became the Sarajevo Historical Archives (Istorijski arhiv Sarajevo).
Administrative structure of the Archive is as follows:
1) Branch for general and legal affairs and protection of records outside the Archive, including:
- Service for general and legal affairs
- Service for supervision and protection of records in registry offices
2) Branch for storage, use and technical protection of archival records and books
3) Branch for arrangement and processing of archival records;
4) Branch for science, research, publishing, cultural and educational activities.
Main building (offices and reading room) in Sarajevo Storage (depot) building: Vrbanjuša
A general guide with information about fonds and collections kept in the Archive can be found in: Vodic kroz fondove i zbirke Istorijskog arhiva Sarajevo (edited by Sejdalija Gušić), Sarajevo 2003.
The Sarajevo Historical Archives are open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The reading room is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Photocopies and digitized copies are available on demand.