Kauno sunkiųjų darbų kalėjimas
- Zentralgefängnis in Kauen
- Kaunas Hard-Labour Prison
The Kaunas Prison was completed in 1864. At the time it was a modern prison in the whole region. It had 300 places for prisoners, a chapel, administrative-household premises, and apartments for employees were planned. Later there the number of places for prisoners grew up to 550. Kaunas Prison was seen far in environs of Kaunas center and aroused terror in everybody. During the period of 1905 Revolution, the prison was overcrowded with political prisoners. The branch of Kaunas Prison was established in the Ninth Fort of Kaunas Fortress in 1924. During World War II, the majority of the convicts in the Kaunas Prison were of Jewish. Most of them were executed at the Ninth Fort. The greater part of the prisoners kept in Kaunas Prison, were the prisoners under interrogation.
EHRI Guidelines for Description v.1.0