"The Paper Gauze Ballerina"
Extent and Medium
- Sophie W. Miklos
Sopie Miklos is a native of Valea Lui Mihai, Romania. She lived in the ghetto in Oradea, Romania, (Nagyvárad) before being sent to Auschwitz where her parents were killed. She was selected as a dancer and participated in a theater production in the camp. Miklos was liberated from Auschwitz in 1945.
The transcript of "The paper gauze ballerina" was created by Sophie Miklos from an audiotape recording of her own testimony. The audiotape testimony was recorded in 1959.
Scope and Content
Contains information about Sophie Miklos and her experiences of persecution in Romania, deportation from the Oradea (Nagyvárad, Hungary) ghetto, imprisonment at Auschwitz, and liberation by the Red Army.
- Miklos, Sophie Weisz.
- Auschwitz (Concentration camp)
- Soviet Union. Raboche-Krestʹi︠a︡nskai︠a︡ Krasnai︠a︡ Armii︠a︡.
- World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Liberation.
- Jews--Romania--Valea lui Mihai--Biography.
- Valea lui Mihai (Romania)
- Oradea (Romania)
- Death marches.
- World War, 1939-1945--Deportations from Romania.
- Holocaust survivors--United States--Biography.
- Jewish ghettos--Romania--Oradea.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--Personal narratives.
- Concentration camp inmates--Selection process.
- Jewish children.
- Personal narratives.