Alliance of Concentration Camp Survivors, Vienna KZ-Verband Wien

Language of Description
Alt. Identifiers
  • 2011.247
  • RG-17.037
1 Jan 1946 - 31 Dec 1946
Level of Description
  • German
EHRI Partner

Extent and Medium

114,426 digital images, JPEG

Archival History

Dokumentationsarchiv des Österreichischen Widerstandes


Records from the Documentary Archives of the Austrian Resistance, Vienna, Austria. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Archives received the collection via the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s International Archives Project in Nov. 2011.

Scope and Content

Contains 14,087 membership applications and their respective case files of Austrian former concentration camp inmates. The KZ-Verband (Association of Concentration Camp Survivors) in Vienna collected these applications from concentration camp survivors. The membership in the KZ-Verband was crucial in getting a formal recognition as a victim of Nazi persecution and compensation from the Austrian government. Approximately 75% of the collected cases pertain to political victims while the remaining 25% (approximately 3,750 cases) pertain to Jewish victims of Nazi persecution. The association followed a rigorous application process. Applicants were subject to repeat internal reviews, interviews, and checking of facts. At that time, there still was a stigma among the general public in Austria who associated the internment in a concentration camp with a criminal past. The KZ-Verband removed from the membership anyone whose credentials were suspect; e.g. concentration camp victims who had been imprisoned by the Nazis due to their sexual orientation and deemed as "asocial" by the Nazis. This collection contains the earliest records related to Austrian concentration camp survivors.

System of Arrangement

14,087 individual membership case files arranged alphabetically by last name.

Conditions Governing Reproduction

Copyright Holder: Dokumentationsarchiv des Österreichischen Widerstandes

Corporate Bodies



This description is derived directly from structured data provided to EHRI by a partner institution. This collection holding institution considers this description as an accurate reflection of the archival holdings to which it refers at the moment of data transfer.