Държавен архив - Ловеч

  • State Archive - Lovech
  • Darzhaven arschiv - Lovech

History

he Lovech State Archive is a division within the Regional State Archives of Montana Directorate. It manages the selection, acquisition, registration, processing, preservation and provision for use of the documents identified for permanent storage, which stem from the district administration, the municipalities of the Lovech region, the territorial structures of the state bodies and other state and municipal institutions, organisations and important figures of local significance; as well as the scientific and methodological guidance and control of the organisation, preservation and use of documents in the archival services.

The Archive was created in 1960 as a division of the County directorate of the Ministry of Interior, Lovech in result of the administrative and territorial reform of 1959. After 1961 it was subordinate to the People’s County Council of Lovech and in 1988 it was incorporated within the structure of the Municipality of Lovech. In 1992 it passed under the direct governance of the General Department of Archives at the Council of Ministers. In 1978 it received the status of a directorate, but in 2010 it was reformed into a division.

Geographical and Cultural Context

The first fonds were transferred from the Archives of Pleven, collected before the administrative and territorial changes in 1959. In 1993-1994 the fonds and collections of the former County Committee of BCP were accessioned, containing 887 fonds with 15 114 archival units, 1377 memoirs and 313 partial accessions, 268 photos and 3 albums.

Building(s)

A reading room and a library are operative at the Archive. There are 2300 volumes of vocational literature on history, archivology and other fields of science; dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, finding aids, guides, catalogs, documentary editions and periodicals.Through the years the Archive was headed by: Marin Mihov (1960–1963), Boris Pavlov (1963–1970), Nanko Nankov (1971–1977), Emil Naydenov (1978–1996), Violeta Malashka (1996–2006).

Archival and Other Holdings

As of the 1st Jan. 2012 the total fonds’ amount of the Archive is 1191 linear meters with 2738 archival fonds (public 2597 and private 141) with 139 443 archival units; 542 partial accessions and 1885 memoirs. The Security fonds consists of 240 806 frames.

Sources