AMIA - Asociación mutual israelita Argentina
- AMIA - Argentinean Jewish Community
The Jewish community of Argentina is the seventh in the world and the largest Spanish-speaking community. In Buenos Aires there are around 165,000 Jews, and another 25,000, distributed in 54 communities in different localities of the country. In 1862 the Israelite Congregation of Buenos Aires was born, the first institution of the Jewish community in Argentina. Among other things, he devoted himself to charity and the registration of births, marriages and deaths of the community from 1879. That same year, he began to raise funds for the purchase of land with the aim of creating a cemetery that would allow Jews receive burial according to their ritual. By then, the first synagogue had been erected and he had been named the first rabbi of the Argentine Republic. Everything was very vertiginous: in 1891 the first Jewish school and the Latin American Congregation of Buenos Aires were born, which grouped the Moroccan Jews. Led by Rabbi Henry Joseph, on February 11, 1894 various Jewish societies of Buenos Aires met. They created a provisional commission to found the burial society Jevrá Kedushá. It was born what will later be called Asociación Mutual Israelita Argentina (AMIA), current central entity of the community. Six years later, it already had 140 members. The Community has social, cultural, educational, political, labor, socio-sports and religious institutions.
Archival and Other Holdings
Material available for consultations: photographs, audiovisual archive, documentary archive, archive of publications, graphic file, bibliography.