Bent metal fork recovered from Chelmno killing center
overall: Height: 0.875 inches (2.223 cm) | Width: 2.625 inches (6.668 cm) | Depth: 5.750 inches (14.605 cm)
The fork was donated to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in 1989 by the Muzeum Okręgowe w Koninie.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Collection, Gift of Muzeum Okręgowe w Koninie
Metal fork, likely recovered from a temporary pit furnace at Chelmno killing center in German-occupied Poland, during an archaeological excavation in 1986 and 1987. Killing operations at Chelmno commenced on December 8, 1941. Prisoners were taken to a camp at a manor house (Schlosslager) in the village to undress and relinquish their valuables. They were then loaded into a gas van where they were killed. The van was then driven 2.5 miles northwest of the village to a camp in the Rzuchowski forest (Waldlager), where the bodies were dumped into mass graves. The large number of corpses created a threat of disease and discovery by Allied forces, so the bodies were exhumed and burned in seven primitive pit furnaces. In the fall of 1942, the furnaces were replaced with two open-air crematoria consisting of concrete foundations topped by a grate of train rails. In March 1943, transports to Chelmno stopped, and the manor house and open-air crematoria in the forest were demolished. Deportations to Chelmno resumed from June to July 1944, to facilitate the liquidation of the Łódź ghetto. In this second phase, the entire killing process was carried out in the forest camp (Waldlager), necessitating the construction of new buildings. The Germans abandoned the camp on January 17, 1945, having killed over 172,000 people. The excavations of 1986-87, and later work have identified additional furnaces, crematoria, and mass graves at the site.
No restrictions on access
Corroded, four-tined metal fork that is bent into a crescent shape. The tines are long and thin, with pointed tips and bent in various directions. The stem is rounded on three sides, flattening and widening near the handle. The handle ends in a flat, teardrop shape with an ornate, stamped, decorative pattern on the top surface. The pattern consists of an oval with a beaded and banded border; below the oval is a floral bloom. On the back of the handle is a large raised rib that extends from the tip of the handle to the beginning of the stem. The surface is covered in a green and brown corrosion that obscures the original finish.