Державний архів Черкаської області
- State Archive of Cherkasy Oblast
- Cherkasy Region State Archives
- Derzhavnyi arkhiv Cherkaskoi oblasti
The first Cherkasy state archives institution – the Central People’s Archives – was founded in Cherkasy in April 1919. The Cherkasy Region Archives were founded in 1925.
Districts were abolished in September, 1930. In October 1930, in view of this abolition, the Cherkasy Local Archives Office was organized on the basis of Cherkasy District Archives. In 1932 they were reorganized into the Cherkasy State Historical Archives, and in 1941 they became a branch of Kyiv Region State Archives. The branch incurred great losses during the Nazi occupation of Cherkasy. 277000 out of 289000 documents filed in the Archives by January, 1, 1941 were lost.
In view of the forming of Cherkasy Region on January, 7, 1954, the Cherkasy Region State Archives were founded on the basis of this branch. The Archives began their work on May, 18, 1954. The Archives Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Administration of Cherkasy Region was organized in May, 1954. Party’s Archives of Cherkasy Region Committee of the Communist Party were founded in August, 1954.
From 1958-1980 in accordance with the State Archives Funds Regulations of the Soviet Union of October, 13, 1958, the Regional State Archives were named Cherkasy Region State Archives. According to order № 67 of August, 7, 1980 of the Chief Archives Administration attached to the Council of Ministers, the Archives were named Cherkasy Region State Archives.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
• realization of public policy in the field of the archives administration; management of the archives within the region; co-ordination of activity of public, enterprises, establishments, organizations of all patterns of ownership authorities in the questions of the archives business and office work;
• realization of public policy in the field of the archived business and office work, realization of management the archived business and office work on territory of area, co-ordination of activity of public, enterprises, establishments, organizations of all patterns of ownership authorities in the questions of the archives business and office work;
• contributing to the National archived fund of the archived documents, which have a local value, conduct of account and permanent storage of this documents, and also use of information they contained;
• realization of control after activity of the archived establishments and services of office work, providing of observance of legislation is about the National archived fund and archives establishments.
Archival and Other Holdings
- 7576 funds, 1106422 (17273 metres) of 1709 – 2006 period
- 5793 items of scientific and technical documents of 1943-1985 period
- 103 items of film documents of the period of 1927-1989 period
- 14584 items of photo documents of 1913-2005 period
- 311 items of phonodocuments of 1964-2006 period
- 8 items of video documents of 1994-2000 period
Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication
Collections of Soviet period (including WWII period):
Державний архів Черкаської області. Анотований реєстр описів. Фонди радянського періоду. Том 2, книга 1: Фонди періоду після 1917 року. Черкаси, 2010. [State Archives of Cherkasy Region. Annotated Register of Archival holdings, Collections of period after 1917, Volume 2, part 1. Cherkasy, 2010]
A full list of the archival funds listed in aforementioned register is also available online in Ukrainian (MS-Word files) at http://ck.archives.gov.ua/text/view/fondy_pislya_1917
The list of the archival collections including those related to World War II that were declassified in the period from 1991 to 2005 is also available online (for State Archive of Cherkasy Oblast, see p. 249-317). See http://ck.archives.gov.ua/data/files/arch_dovid/Міжархівний_довідник_Реєстр_розсекречених_архівних_фондів_України_Tom-3.pdf
Reading Hall working hours: Monday-Thursday 9.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
YV/ClaimsCon'06/online search http://ck.archives.gov.ua/