Държавен архив – Кърджали
- Durzhaven arhiv - Kurdzhali
- Kurdzhali State Archive
State Archive in Kurdzhali was created in 1960. After many reorganizations it became since 2010 the branch of the Regional State Archives in Plovdiv.
Geographical and Cultural Context
he Kardzhali State Archive is a division within the Regional State Archives of Plovdiv Directorate. It manages the selection, acquisition, registration, processing, preservation and provision for use of the documents identified for permanent storage, which stem from the district administration, the municipalities of the Kardzhali district, of the territorial structures of the state bodies and of other state and municipal institutions, organisations and important figures with local significance, as well as scientific and methodological guidance and control over the organisation, preservation and work with documents in the archival services.
The Archive was created in 1960 as a division of the County directorate of the Ministry of Interior, Kardzhali, in accordance with the Decree 515 of the Presidium of the National Assembly and the Decree 344 of the Council of Ministers dated 18th April 1952. After 1961 it was subordinate to the People’s County Council of Kardzhali and since 1988 is within the structure of the Municipality of Kardzhali. In 1992 it passed under the direct governance of the General Department of Archives at the Council of Ministers. In 2010 it received the status of a directorate, but in 1978 it was reformed into a division.
Mandates/Sources of Authority
Through the years the Archive was headed by: Dimitar Stoylov (1960–1960), Elektra Kazakova (1960–1961), Gocho Doychev (1961–1962), Nikola Kirov (1962–1970), Todor Ingilizov (1970–1983), Ivan Stefanov (1983–1992).
Records Management and Collecting Policies
As of the 1st Jan. 2012 the total fonds’ amount of the Archive is 1076.40 linear metres with 3182 archival fonds (public 3117 and private 65) with 110 070 archival units; 621 partial accessions and 1311 memoirs. The Security Fonds consists of 81 885 frames of negatives.
Since 2007 the Archive has been located in a newly reconstructed building.
Archival and Other Holdings
As for 1 I 2018 the archive contained 3267 archival collections (112 165 archival units) A reading room, a library and an exhibition hall with are operative at the Archive. The library possesses 1918 volumes of vocational literature on history, archivology and other fields of science; dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, finding aids, guides, catalogs, documentary editions and periodicals.
ARCHIVES STATE AGENCY INFORMATION SYSTEM